Sunday, October 20, 2013

Exploring Qatar: West side

When another opportunity presented itself, we headed out to explore the west side of Qatar.  Even though we didn't find places we would necessarily go back to we did find places that I'm really happy we did!  It was some of the most random sight seeing ever.  First we were looking for this fort called Zekreet fort.  It took us forever to figure out where to go because our directions were so unhelpful but eventually we made it...even though we weren't sure that we had.  Micah mentioned that we were looking for a fort and all of a sudden I said "babe, I think that's it".  Let me tell you, it was super unimpressive.  I guess there was a fort here at some point in time.
It took us so long to get here and figure out where we were going that it was already time for lunch and to give Jacob a break. So we finally found a place to stop and have our picnic and give Jacob a chance to play.  This area wasn't as kid friendly as our previous beach because it had lots of rocks and shells.  At some point Jacob decided he wanted to wander off into the desert.

After lunch we continued driving farther and farther away from civilization into the desert. Eventually, we found what we were looking for, the random fort that no one seems to know why its there.  It's not very old and I've read many different theories on why it was built.  The book we have says it was used as a tv set, another theory is that it was built for Qatar's promo video for the world cup.  Whatever the reason, we found it!



From there, we read there was the site of an old "film set" where small buildings were built into the rock faces of the jebels.   It took some effort to find it but eventually we stumbled across this "film set". Again, I researched to try to figure out what film or what it was for and I didn't find any answers!  Ohh well, it was still fun to find. 



It took us FOREVER to drive back to an actual road and made us realize how far we really had driven out into the desert.  Overall, it was another fun day exploring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment