We have now been in the Magic Kingdom for 1 week. I was having a hard time with jet lag and kept waking up every night around 3:00am and having a very hard time going back to sleep. Well I finally kicked the jet lag 2 nights ago. I have finally had 2 nights in a row where I was still asleep when Micah's alarm went off! I'm so excited about that because I'm finally feeling "normal".
As I said, we have been here for 1 week and I have already been to Khobar/Dhahran 3 times! So for anyone that was worried that I would miss shopping have no fear and for those who are worried about my shopping....well you should probably be afraid ;) One thing that I have noticed is that I really want more Abayas. This has shocked me a little bit but I find myself drawn to them. I guess I figure if I have to wear them any time I go out I may as well have cute ones. It is an interesting experience being the EXTREME minority where you live but other than some staring and a couple young guys taking pictures of us with their cell phones, I haven't had any problems. I hope it continues that way but I'm sure at some point I will have some interesting stories.
On our drive to and from Khobar I took some "scenic" pictures out of the window. You will notice that some areas are straight sand/desert while other areas have more trees. The city where we live actually has a lot more trees than I expected it to. I even took a picture of 2 of the ladies I went shopping with, Jackie and Nikki.
There have been a couple parties since we have been here. The first one was at Lonna & Bill's villa for a 4th of July party. It was nice to get together with people and pretend we were in the U.S. for a short time. We had everything a 4th of July party needs except for fireworks. We even had hot dogs and hamburgers for dinner. All of the food was excellent and it was nice to get to meet new people. We also had a dinner in the compounds future restaurant hosted by the company (I think). The food was excellent and once again it was great to spend time with more people on the compound. Of course I keep meeting men who refer to me as "Mike Gilbert's daughter" and women who tell me how much I look like my mom. But I consider it all a compliment and it gives me more connections to people which I enjoy.
July is actually a very slow time on the compound with so many people gone for summer vacation and there are many new families coming in August so I know things will pick up even more. I've heard of book clubs, sewing groups, walking groups, shopping outings, and more. I have feeling boredom will not be a problem.






You are so right kiddo, the only people who are bored are those who stay closed up in their houses. That is not for me either. Glad you guys are getting out, I like the Dhahran Mall better than Rashid, it has more. Also Ikeia is the coolest place, it has saved us a lot of looking. Hope you guys get with Steve and join in at the fellowship, you might find it refreshing. Our pastor has retired after 29 years so we are between pastors right now. See you later this year. Blessings, me
ReplyDeleteI love your blog!!!! Good job!!!!!
ReplyDelete