Monday, July 26, 2010

The First of Many Trips to Bahrain

Well I finally got my multi-entry visa for Saudi so I was finally able to make a trip to Bahrain.  I have just been anxious to go to Bahrain for many reasons.  First of all because I NEEDED to see Eclipse.  All my friends in the states seem to have already seen it more than once.  I was feeling left out.  Secondly, I wanted to go because it has a feeling of "home" since my parents lived there for so many years.  There are many places I have been and recognize.  Thirdly, we needed a chance to feel a little more "normal".   No abaya wearing for me!   

We started our day at 6:30 am.  Our friends Steve and Jackie came with us and we headed out of Saudi.  Over the years of my parents living here I always heard about the causeway between Saudi and Bahrain but had never personally experienced it.   It is kinda a strange experience.  You go through so many customs check points but all while in your car and technically in the middle of the gulf.  Our experience was pretty smooth and didn't take that long but I have heard of times where people have sat just at the customs area for 3 plus hours!!   They do have restrooms in the area and even a McDonald's and other fast food items.  


Our first stop in Bahrain was Ric's Kountry Kitchen.  It has great American style breakfast with PORK bacon.  The pork is basically why everyone wants to go to Ric's.  If you don't know, Saudi does not allow pork products into the country.  I had never realized how often I actually eat pork until now when I can't.  While we were waiting on our food at Ric's another CPChem employee and his family walked in so we joined our tables and had one big breakfast.  



Luckily for us this family and their driver were willing to take us to our next destination so we could pay for one less taxi.  After Ric's they dropped us off at the Bahrain City Center mall.  I LOVE this mall.  It is huge and has most stores we could possibly want or need.  However, the prices on clothing are little bit higher than in the states and even higher than in Saudi. 
As I said before, I was insisting on seeing Eclipse. Micah was not too thrilled on the idea of watching that movie so he talked Jackie into going with me instead.  Since I am a fan of the whole series I loved the movie.  I'm not so sure that Jackie loved it especially since she has not seen any of the other movies.  


Once the movie was over, Jackie and I jumped in a taxi and met the guys at Hardrock cafe.  This is one of the popular places for Americans (from Saudi) to go to get a beer or other types of drinks not allowed in Saudi.  We just hung out there for a short time and then headed to Senor Pacos.  First we had to catch a taxi and just our luck our taxi driver didn't know where Senor Pacos was located.  I was lucky enough to talk on the drivers cell phone to someone who was then able to get our driver to the right location.  
Every time I went to visit my parents in Bahrain we went to Senor Pacos.  It is by no means great Mexican food but it is still Mexican food and they have good Margaritas.  We were the ONLY people in the restaurant at this time of day.   I took a picture of the booth where I last ate here with my parents.  Admittedly, I experienced a few sad, sentimental times when I was wishing my parents still lived in Bahrain.  But then I drank a couple Margaritas, ate some nachos and was doing just fine ;)


After Senor Pacos it was time to head back home.  I wasn't too thrilled about putting my abaya back on. 

But once again I cheered back up quickly. 

It was a good, fast, short day but still a little relief from the same old Saudi life.  Hopefully we will make it back soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment