I brought enough back with me from the US to get through a while to give us time to get over jet-lag and get back into a rhythm before I had to start making food. Well, the time came for my first attempt. I had asked my friends a lot of questions, did some research online, and looked at my baby food cook book. It was time to get started.
I got out my fancy tools and some not so fancy tools. I was given a great baby food maker machine as a baby gift and it was kinda fun to finally pull it out and use it. On one side it steams and on the other it purees. I also had out my food processor to do more at one time. I had some pans ready for baking the items I wanted to bake. And finally, I had the ice cube treys ready to freeze the final product.
*Of course I decided to do this when Jake was taking his longer nap of the day and of course he decided he didn't want to sleep this day!!
For my first try, I decided to make sweat peas, sweet potatoes, carrots, pears, and apples. I steamed the sweet peas, pears, and carrots. I baked the apples and the sweet potatoes and a few carrots just to try two different ways. I sliced, diced, skinned, and prepped the food.
Once it was all done being cooked I pureed it all and pored it into the ice cube treys. It took a little more effort to puree than I thought and I'm sure some of my first time foods aren't as smooth as they should be. Ohh well!
I also bought this handy little tool that Lindsey told me about called the Infantino Fresh Squeeze Station. This little gadget allows me to take my homemade food and put it into the little bags that are now so popular with baby food. This is awesome because it gives me a much easier way to store, freeze, and take baby food along with us on outings. Here I am putting sweet potatoes into the pouches.
My first time making baby food was long, and little frustrating, and tiring. But, I have no doubt it will get easier every time. I wrote down lots of notes on what not to do or to do next time. Hopefully it won't take me nearly as long and Jake will actually sleep through it.
Here's Jake eating his first homemade sweet potatoes.





No comments:
Post a Comment