Sunday, August 8, 2010

Bahrain again....Girl style

Last week I decided I needed a girl trip to Bahrain so that we could spend all of our time doing girly things.  For this adventure I drug along 3 other ladies: Laura, Jackie, and Nikki.   We hoped in the car early Monday morning and headed straight for Bahrain.  The first stop was the rental car company where somehow I was nominated as driver.  Now, I have been to Bahrain quite a few times before this and my parents had offered to let me drive.  Never once was I brave enough but this time I had to step up to the challenge.  
Once we had the car and dropped off our stuff we headed out for some shopping.  I was able to stop at some of my favorite shops that Mom and Dad used to take me to.  However, it was one of the hottest days  (all days are hot) and I didn't last long with the outdoor type shopping.  We decided to head to our lunch date a little early to cool off and get some drinks.  A few other ladies met us at CoCo's for a fabulous lunch. 

After lunch we attempted to find a hardware store called Manazels.  Needless to say "Jane" the GPS led us astray.  We ended up in some crazy back alley ways in Bahraini neighborhoods.  I'm pretty sure they weren't expat neighborhoods either.  Along with the scenery many of the little roads were only big enough for one car which led to some interesting driving maneuvers.  Jackie has the pictures from this part and even a video.  If I get them from her I will add them to the post....

We finally admitted defeat to finding Manazels and headed to the camel farm! They were tied up and we felt so bad for them.  Camels can also crane their necks in some crazy ways. 


We went to a place called Delmon Pottery where I think we all bought some form of pottery. The guy that owns the place does all of his own baking and hand painting.  Of course we have to come back to pick up our purchase. 


Another stop we made was to the Grand Mosque of Bahrain.  They were having a public seminar that day so our tour was a little restricted.  We also had to put our abayas on and cover our hair.  The inside was very beautiful.  Notice the picture of the seminar.... The men are on one side and then separated by a large wooden partition were the women.  Funnily enough the seminar was on gender equality. Also notice the little boy on the floor in our group picture.... He was from NYC. 

Now back to our lunch at CoCo's.... Some of the ladies there were talking about "The mustache man".   Apparently he is this older man with a crazy mustache like a Texas longhorn and he walks around the Bahrain City Center mall.  We were told that he charges people to take a picture with him.  Well low and behold who did we see during our trip to the mall.....THE MUSTACHE MAN!   I saw him first and was cracking up.  It took the other girls some time to figure out why I was smirking.   Then we followed behind him for a little ways watching peoples reactions as they walked by.  It was highly entertaining.  In the picture, check out the guy with the cane and the luggage.  Now look right about his shoulders and you will see the mustache sticking out. 


For most of the time we drove around, shopped, ate, and even watched a movie.  We had a great time.  Also, thanks to Lori for giving us a place to stay.  

2 comments:

  1. Was CoCo's, a place that sells curry? CoCo's Curry is what it was called in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think so... It was more of a cute salad, sandwich, pasta place.

    ReplyDelete