Friday, May 28, 2010

Packing Up!

Wow, it seems like it has been a long time since I have posted.  SOOO much has happened since stepping off the plane from NYC.  Micah left for Saudi soon after we returned on May 13. Between May 13 and May 20 I spent most of my time organizing, cleaning, getting paperwork together, and doing our last minute shopping.  I also had to figure out where everything was going.  My 3 options were storage, sea, or air shipment. It is very challenging to figure out how much stuff to bring and what should go air, etc. I understand that many of you have no idea what it is like to have a moving company do your moving for you.  Let me just say, it is AMAZING.  I hope to never move without them again.  Here is a very basic walk through.

First the movers come in and get a basic walk through.  I did my best to remember what was going where and I had labeled a decent amount of my stuff before hand. After they feel like they have a good idea of the house and whats going on it is basically a whirlwind.  They move in tons of empty boxes, wrapping paper, tape, and even put down floor protectors. 
After they have most of their supplies inside they disperse throughout the house and get to wrapping and packing.  For our house we had 5 people packing everything up.  The air shipment was packed up first and I was able to run through the house and add a lot more stuff to it than I thought I would.  It is pretty amazing to watch how quickly they can wrap and pack stuff.  They were completely done with wrapping everything and putting everything in boxes by 5pm. 


Our house packing required a few "specialist".  There was a specific team that came in to break down and transport our pool table (which went to storage).  Another team came just to crate up our TV's.  Plasmas apparently do not transport well so they have to be extra careful with them. 

                          
They next day they returned with a truck to take storage items and a sea crate to take our sea shipment. The sea crate did not arrive on time so the guys started moving everything out into our garage/drive-way.  I think they were ready to be done. Once the sea crate arrived, they had our entire house loaded and cleared within 3 hours. 
I basically didn't do a single thing during these two days. I occasionally answered questions, bought the workers food, and sat in a chair in the kitchen and watched. My wonderful Mom was there with me both days for moral support and helped keep me company.




As the packers finished rooms, my Mom and I would work behind them cleaning out the cabinets and floors. At the end of the day we were able to leave behind a clean empty house. Now, we just need someone to buy it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow....awesome!! So excited for you and know it is overwhelming but you will do great. There is no better person to have with you than Verna, she is amazing. So happy you guys are getting over here finally, does it seem like it took forever and now you are getting down to the wire can't believe you are at this stage now? I know you are tired and excited. Praying for you all your loose ends. Love ya...Inez

    ReplyDelete