*WARNING! This post may show dirty, disheveled, filthy pictures of tired people.
In the beginning of the moving process there are quite a few nastalgic moments when you think about leaving your home. You look back on all the fun memories you have in your house. All the times you had your friends over for dinner, family came to visit, and even just the simple times of laying on the couch watching tv with your hubby and your dog. And then it happens. The cleaning, sorting, meetings with realtors, having to keep your house spot less at every moment, phone calls, appointments, etc. Then, more meetings, more phone calls, more cleaning, more fixing!
Thats where I am today with the more fixing section. Micah and I have started the process of getting the company to buy our house. Part of that process is getting an inspection and then getting everything on that inspection list fixed. The inspection came back with a nice list and an estimated total to fix everything at about $2500. Now, I read this list and knew that most of it could be done by me and Micah. If only Micah was still in the United States. In comes Dad. Let me just say, my Dad is pretty much the greatest Dad on earth. I will also say that I thought this even before this weekend but I think this weekend is living proof. Dad agreed to spend his Friday off work helping me "fix" my house. He did everything from replacing gas lines in the attic to replacing siding on the top of our house. Here was our work list:
- clean gutters
-replace rotting siding
- put an "anti-tip" device on our stove
-put back flow protector valves on the outside faucets
-change out a deadbolt key lock (dumb!)
-fix bathroom drain stoppers
- put fixtures on lights in the closets
- replace the gas line on our heating unit
-figure out why we had water spots, fix it, cover up the spots
-installing smoke detectors
- electrical things which an electrician will have to do
This list took us about a total of 14 hours over a 1.5 day period and $240 at Lowes. What a saving! I find that I am actually a very handy person was able to do many of these things on my own while my dad worked on the more difficult items. Here are a few pictures from our day.
Dad working on the rotted siding
Me working on the deadbolt. Watch out! I have a drill and I know how to use it!
I am working on rigging up a "anti-tip" device. Dad is fixing some more rotted siding. This picture doesn't really do it justice but he is actually on our roof in a tiny portion barely squeezed in. I prayed the whole time he was up there!
By then end of these two days there was no nastalgia left in me. I am just ready to be done with the house! Again, thanks to my Dad for helping out and saving us so much money!


No comments:
Post a Comment