Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Ode to my car

Tomorrow I will be selling my long time friend to Carmax.  I went to get a quote from them last week and Micah and I have decided to sell it to them as the "hassle free" option.  As I was walking to my car after getting my quote I started.....crying!  Now, I haven't been that emotional about anything that pertains to moving yet and I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with me if the first thing that makes me cry is my car.  However, the more I thought about the more it made sense.  


This wonderful car was given to me when I left home for college.  I am so blessed to have parents that not only gave me a car but gave me a Firebird.  It was the fun, fast, cool car.  My friends and I have many great memories in that car.  We used to drive around campus with the T-tops off and try to find people to yell at. I love driving with the wind in my hair and sometimes would take the tops off and drive just to drive.  This beloved car also got my pulled over 12 times!  That is no exaggeration.   I have actually been pulled over 14 times but 2 of them were in other cars.  Who doesn't love to pull over a young girl in a Firebird with out-of-state tags?  Although it was frustrating, it does make for some good cop stories.  The Firebird drove Holly Fasold Jackson, Christina Wiemers, Kendra Anderson, and myself to Louisiana to surprise Anna Dobbins Jamison for our Fall break. On our way home we should have ran out of gas on the Interstate but somehow, the car made it to a gas station.  Going on a girl trip in the Firebird became tradition. The next year it drove the same people to Houston.  Why my friends agreed to ride on 11 hour and 8 hour car trips in the back of a Firebird, I will never know.


I understand now that saying goodbye to my car is not just about moving across the world.  It is about saying goodbye to a period of life. Saying goodbye to the fun, care free days. Saying goodbye to cool cars and hello to Mom cars.   So long dear friend.  I hope someone has as much fun with you as I did!



2 comments:

  1. If I had to sell my '68 camaro before moving to North Caroina, I would have cried my eyes out. By the way, if you guys want to read our blog: chadwickbailey.blogspot.com

    i hope things are going well for you guys

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Heeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyy!!" haha :)

    and when we thought we were going to run out of gas, we prayed like we had never prayed before! :) that had to have been a God thing! haha

    oh, and i'm not sure why i chose to ride in the back seat of that thing so long, but it must have been for the fun company of the trip, not the comfort. (i'd probably buy a plane ticket today)

    Love ya and miss ya!

    ReplyDelete