Thursday, February 17, 2011

Who done it?

A few years ago on  a whim I bought a Mardi Gras themed murder mystery game.  I haven't ever had the opportunity or inspiration to actually play it until recently.  Now for the making of a Mardi Gras party in the Magic Kingdom....


First of course, I started with the game. 
Then I had to pick a date that didn't fall during our vacation, Micah's birthday, Brooks and Lindsey being gone, etc.  So we ended up with February 17.  After picking the date I carefully chose characters for everyone and sent out the invitations. 
Over the next couple of weeks I started shopping for Mardi Gras decorations....in Saudi Arabia.  It wasn't as difficult as I had expected.  We have a large craft store in Khobar that actually had masks, and mardi gras colored tinsely garland stuff (not sure what to call it).   We also have a store called "Party Land" that has all the normal party store type things where I found table clothes and other fun items.  
A typical Mardi Gras item is a "King Cake".   I absolutely love king cakes but there is no way I was going to get one here.  So I decided to try to make my own.  Maybe not the best decision ever but I learned a lot about making bread and baking.  I learned so much that I was fortunate enough to make two different cakes (enter sarcasm here).  Here are some of my cake making adventures:


As you can see, the second one turned out much prettier.  So I decided to proceed with that cake. Now to poor on the icing and add the sprinkles.  I had to make my own colored sprinkles so my purple didn't turn out very purply but you get the idea. I would say in the end it tasted....ok. 


The morning of the party it was time to decorate.  Instead of explaining I will just show some fun pictures. 

While I was decorating my wonderful husband was cooking his fabulous gumbo.  I helped with the occasional steps such as deboning chicken and chopping up onions but other than that dinner was all Micah. I would have taken a picture but he was cooking shirtless... ;)

Now for the best step of all.  Having amazing friends who completely played along and played their parts very well.  I can't even explain how grateful I am for these people.  We had a great time trying to figure out "Who done it?"
Cherie- Gothic writer Connika Gothika, Heather-Queen of the ball Alexis, Me- Las Vegas cocktail waitress Mrs. Dupree, Laura- Bourbon DuPre's wife, Lindsey- French maid Elise 
Matt- Lawyer of the deceased Mr. Peek, Dan- Law school student/cajun "Gator", Micah- didn't really have a part so I made him Hugh Hefner, Brent- jazz musician Bourbon Dupree, Brooks- chef Cayenne Pepper





Playing through our parts over a wonderful dinner of Gumbo
Just to be clear, all drinks served were alcohol free ;)
Me and Hef 

Thanks everyone for making the party so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment